Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Been Thinking About...

Well Natalie and Adam's porch is finished and it's only Wednesday; they started it on Monday. Greta and I got up early this morning and played. After breakfast we all went to Target, Old Navy, and to a place called Five Guys for lunch where we met Adam. It was a hamburger joint using fresh beef, homemade rolls, fixings, and Idaho potatoes fried in peanut oil. Excellent food. This feast was followed by a short nap and a long 1 hr. walk through areas which I am not so familiar with. I am equipped with my I-Pod and cell phone for the noise and also if I get lost I can call home. The weather is still pretty and sunny although a bit windy...maybe a high of 50 compared to 15 degrees at home. I believe the cold and snow come earlier every year to Alaska and every year I cringe and bundle up. Bernie made it home yesterday with the Smart car and never did have to chain up. I think he returned the chains to Walmart which he bought in Ketchican. He said the coldest it got was minus 17. The roads were clear and he is blessed to be home.

The room which I have been sleeping in has tons of great books of Adam's he's collected. I love it. In this book, Purpose in Prayer by E.M. Bounds, William Wilberforce says "I suspect I have been allotting habitually too little time to religious exercise as private devotion, religious meditation, Scripture reading,etc. Hence I am lean and cold and hard. God would perhaps prosper me more in spiritual things if I were to be more diligent in using the means of grace. I had better allot more time say two hours or an hour and a half to religious exercises daily and try whether by so doing I cannot preserve a frame of spirit more habitually devotional, a more lively sense of unseen things, a warmer love to God, and a greater degree of hunger and thirst after righteousness, a heart less prone to be soiled with worldly cares, designs, passions, and apprehension and a real undissembled longing for heaven, it's pleasures and it's purity." William WIlberforce was an evanngelical Christian who was a courageous leader in anti-slave trade in England in the 1700's who helped end the slave trade.

No comments: